While the plan is to finish high school during your teen years, it doesn’t always happen. For some girls, pregnancy can get in the way of your original plan, delaying your graduation date. Some pregnant teens continue their education during their pregnancy and take a break when necessary. Others leave high school altogether and come back when they’re ready. For some, this could be years later. In many of these instances, a traditional high school doesn’t seem like the right environment to earn a diploma.
Whatever your circumstances, you can come back to high school. With online high school classes available, more adults are earning their high school diploma and even going to college. Even as a single mom, you can go back to school and earn your diploma at your own pace.
In the past, many got caught up in the idea that teen moms had no nope. They could give up their children and go back to school, or they could settle for poverty and low education. With online learning, you can have both. The only question is how do you get started, and what are the logical next steps?
Get Back to School and Earn your High School Diploma Online
When you decide to go back to school, it can be easier than you expect. For many students, the biggest challenge is making the decision to get started. What should you do to go back to school after a teen pregnancy?
- Talk to Educational Authorities: Depending on your state and other factors, they may have a list of recommendations. You can get an idea of what your state requires to graduate with a high school diploma. You can also get other information you might not realize on your own.
- Decide What Kind of High School Completion Program You Want: You have two basic options. You can attend a high school completion program near you. This would require you to take classes, many of which are night classes to fit around adult schedules. You can also attend online, which gives you more flexibility. Online students can take the number and type of classes that suit their needs. It isn’t right for everyone, but it opens up doors for many students. It can also be easier than you think to get into the routine.
- Make Sure Your Program Is Legitimate: When you choose an online program, you may find schools that offer fake credentials. They look real at first. Then they send you a high school diploma without taking any classes. They might even sign you up for classes , but they aren’t accredited. You can check with state agencies to make sure the program you’re paying for is legitimate.
- Make a Plan: You can find low-cost ways to earn your high school diploma. Your costs vary state by state. You can find some free programs and others that cost you. The free programs often encourage students not to work. They’re also generally physical campuses with daytime class schedules.
- Choose a Program: Once you know which programs are legitimate and fit your needs, you can sign up. Each school has its own admissions process. Many can be completed online without ever visiting a physical campus. If you’re going back to high school after having a baby, be prepared to find day care services and take charge of your experience.
Is an Online High School Diploma Right for You?
Any time you sign up for an online education, it requires more initiative. You have to take charge of your education and make time to go to class. Many don’t come with a regularly scheduled class time. If you have questions, never be afraid to ask teachers. This way, they can help you solidify the information and build your skill set.
Online teachers are happy to help you. You have to put in the time to do the assignments on time and ask questions. Many classes give you general deadlines. With more flexibility, some students can get off track. When you’re a young mother, you need to determine what works for your family.
American National School is set up to help young mothers and many others earn their high school diploma. We can also help students with college preparation, and funding. Just visit us and see the range of options available to you at American National School.